Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Simple Side of Love

After having a very lazy day at home, I managed to finagle (and yes that IS a word!) a good friend into going for a coffee with me. She, being the wonderful mother she is, brought her 2 wee girls with her. Both her kids are VERY well behaved. The baby slept soundly, and the 'big girl' sat patiently in her chair nibbling away on a chocolate chip cookie nearly the size of her head. I sat sipping my 'London Fog' while Miss K lay lazily in my lap, greedily sucking away on a expertly warmed bottle. The dulcet and sultry tones of Dianna Kral's voice float around us, as we chat. Bliss! What more could I ask for?

I ended up getting more than I bargained for. As my friend excused herself to change a diaper, the 'big girl' gave me some advice and insight miles beyond her 4 years. "when you love someone it makes you feel so good". I agreed, "It sure does, doesn't it?". She went on to tell me that she was in love, with Marcello, from her preschool. "What makes you love him," I probed. She sat back in her chair, put the tip of her small finger on her chin, and struck an almost comedic 'thinking tableau'. "He can count. He knows all his numbers". I grilled her, as only a mother can do, "anything else?" A long pause...."Nope". And then I found myself leaning back in my chair, taking another contemplative sip of my london fog, and replying "well little Miss. You are one smart cookie". Simplicity in love. No mind games. No dating around till you find the perfect fit. No crap, B.S, or games. Just ask yourself "can he count? Does he know all his numbers". Ha!

Anyone of my single friends wanna try this new approach to assessing love and give me some feed back about its success rate?

No comments:

Post a Comment