Sunday, February 21, 2010

Happiness in letting go!

Im sitting with my feet up, reading the paper and lazily sipping a coffee in the sun on a Sunday at noon. Its just like life before Miss K. It's so nice to have some down time while Kahlen sleeps. Im starting to get used to this new routine a bit. Steve and I started off as 'by-the-book' parents, but its a slippery slope once you stop saying 'well the books says...' and start saying '...just this once. Im sure it will be fine.'

 Im so much happier now that we stopped stressing so much about doing things wrong. I've come to accept that Kahlen will be scared for life, will need counseling in adult hood, and that it will be all my fault. Im ok with that. Ha! I mean I would never intentionally inflict any sort of trauma or harm to her, but I know that even if I did things 'by-the-book' she's going to tell me she hates me at some point (Im of course referring to the teenaged years of course).

So, once we threw the book out the window, we just kind of let Miss K tell us what she needs. When does she need to eat, sleep, play, get changed, etc... She is a very vocal little girl and has no problem letting me know if she needs something. That being said, she has managed to create her own schedule and stick to it. We let her do her thing, and its worked out so well for us. The routine is: she wakes up (between 8-930ish); she plays for an hour, takes a bottle, plays some more and 2-2.5 hours after she wakes up she is ready for a nap; she sleeps for 30-60 mins; wakes up, plays, eats, plays, eats; goes down for another nap (between 3-4ish) for about an hour; wakes up plays, eats, plays, eats; and around 8pm she takes a HUGE bottle and falls asleep and is out for the night.

The routine is pretty set, but there are minor changes day-day. I know none of you really cares about this routine, and Im not offended. I just wanted to point out that I get a morning and afternoon nap now, which is SUCH a luxury! I Love my getting up and playing with Miss K in the morning. I also love that morning nap when I can relax, have a coffee, or even take a nap myself. Its a little break in the day, and I like that I can count on it happening, and that Miss K chose this schedule. It takes the guess work out of it, and by letting her take the lead we are all happy.

Well my hour of sun, and relaxing is over. Miss K is awake and singing her 'up up up up' song. Thats my cue.

No comments:

Post a Comment