Friday, April 30, 2010

Grassland Liberation


Today I met up with Barb and her ADORABLE kids Naveen and Prachetas. It took us weeks, and weeks, and weeks to finally get together (damn sick kids) but it was worth the wait. We grabbed a coffee at 'Bucks and fed the kids some brunch. After a while all 3 kids got a bit squirmy so we walked over to Sapperton Park. I'll be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of the park before, but It kind of grew on me today. I usually walk the extra 10 blocks to Hume Park (which I adore, this park has everything) but we were on a tight schedule, and Sapperton Park was right next door. So we walked over and put the kids on the swings. An adorable photo op... but I forgot. Prachetas giggled away, Miss K watched him with a smirk, and Naveen ran wild. Then we went over to the big swings, another great photo op, but I forgot. I watched Prachetas walk around, occasionally sitting and playing with the grass and I laughed at how uptight I am. I wouldn't let K sit/crawl on the grass in case she got wet/dirty. How stupid am I? She is a kid right? So I let go. I let her crawl, and sit, and fall in love with the grass. She ripped it, tossed it, and I think even sampled a few blades. She was adorable, and I fell even more in love with her. 

(she looks a little unsure... but seconds later she was all smiles)

Kahlen LOVED having Naveen there, and I think Naveen was enjoying having another little girl around. Kahlen and she sat, sometimes snuggling side-by-side, enjoying the sun and the grass. As soon as I picked up the camera Naveen played shy, lay down and covered her eyes. SO cute! Kahlen, was totally oblivious to me and the camera... "can't smile mom, eating grass."

And finally we walked (yes all of us walked... K with some help though) over to a grassy area and the kids helped themselves to an impromptu picnic. Kahlen clutched her new snack cup (a wonderful invention) and Naveen sprinkled the contents of a second snack cup (which I had no idea was in the stroller basket) on the grass for her and her brother to share. They sat snacking, and I stood watching, dumbfounded by how big our little premies have become (P was a 26 weeker). 


I find it so exciting and heart wrenching when I watch her grow up, or more accurately, when I turn around and realize she has grown up without me noticing. I am hoping the weather is nice tomorrow, I am in the mood for another park day!

No comments:

Post a Comment