Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Out With The Old, In With The New

I needed a change. Something new, something different. I wanted to tweak, find inspiration, and morph something... on a budget. So I did. 

I decided to change the photo frames above my TV. Please disregard the mess. I started this project with Hurricane Kahlen in full swing.I decided I wanted to update the pictures in those photo frames. They had wedding pictures in them... from 5 years ago...and while I love my husband and our wedding... I'm not eager to look at something each day that reminds me of my old body... the skinny one that I'll not likely see again.




I decided to replace them with a random set of prints. I chose these prints because I liked the colours, I liked that they matched, and I thought they would be a good starting point for a TOTAL 'do over' of our living room. I actually stumbled across them while searching www.Etsy.com, a new guilty pleasure of mine. I started by taking a peak at Priscilla's page (EXCELLENT!) to see what new things she has on the go, and then just kind of surfed. Eventually I ended up at Kamil Paper and bought two sets of note cards. The whole order cost me $4.25 including shipping and helped me uphold my 'budget' requirement.




I wanted to make the frames more colourful but also more airy and light. I decided to take the back of the frame off so the frames more closely resembled a shadow box, without the expense of having to buy a shadow box.

 

I then needed to find a way to attache the cards so that you could still see through the frame. I found some good old overhead sheets (a teacher staple) in my office and cut them to size.



I mounted the cards on the see-through over heads, and then put them into the frames.
(Here are a few so you get the idea)




Finally I put the frames back up on the wall where they used to be in their new and improved state.
Its not a HUGE difference, but once we get the new couch and chair, Im going to pull colours out of the cards as accents. It felt like a small victory in the war against my home. We've lived here for almost a year now and we are STILL in the process of unpacking (shameful I know!). So, I feel like Im finally starting to make it a home....it's a nice feeling.


1 comment: