Friday, February 5, 2010

Sodium Junky






Hi, my name is Kelsey and I'm a sodium addict (Hello Kelsey). I have been sodium clean for nearly 45 minutes now (clapping, and words of encouragement). I first started using sodium when I was a kid (nods from the group). In the beginning it was just once in a while (more nodding from the group). A little salt on my dinner, a few potato chips as a snack, some mac and cheese for lunch. But as I got older, it started to spiral out of control. I was able to hide it for a while. I used to make excuses in front of my friends, "I only use on weekends" or "everyone else is doing it too." And everyone bought into my excuses, or turned a blind eye to save us both the awkwardness/embarrassment (nods of familiarity). It just got worse though. I lost my control. It consumed me (you're not alone. We've been there) I would wake up with salt all over the pillow and a bag of chips ripped open and licked clean beside me. I couldn't leave home without a salt shaker or bag of corn nuts in my pocket. I always was thinking about where and how I would score my next fix. I shrank...no...dissappeared from my social circle. I cancelled ladies night so I could sit at home in my PJs and eat rice swimming in a bowl of soya sauce. I used and used and used until I was so dehydrated I barely remember the month of January. I knew I had hit rock bottom when I snatched a cracker out of my daughters tiny little hands, greedily licking it, as she cried objections at me. I need help (you've come to the right place). I need to get better for myself and for my family (we're here for you). Thanks, I...I.. I just want to get better (Coming here is a great first step).


Okay, its not quite that bad, but I am a self professed sodium junky. One of my New Years resolutions was to decrease my sodium (or white death, as my father in law calls it) intake drastically. Support me. Be my SJA (Sodium Junkies Anonymous).

FYI: Here are the top 20 individual food sources of sodium in the American diet (couldn't find bupkuss about the Canadian diet):


1. meat pizza
2. white bread
3. processed cheese
4. hot dogs
5. spaghetii with sauce
6. ham
7. Ketchup
8. rice
9. white buns/rolls
10. Flour (wheat) tortillas
11. salty snacks/corn chips
12. Whole milk
13. cheese pizza
14. noodle soups
15. eggs
16. mac and Cheese
17. 2% milk
18. french fries
19. Creamy salad dressings
20. potato chips

No comments:

Post a Comment